“After Employment, What ?: A Workshop on Challenges Faced, Negotiations Made and Policies Required for Differently Abled Teachers in Institutions of Higher Learning”
Day 1, 9th November, 2012, JNU
Registration: 9.30 a.m.
· Welcome Address by Prof. Sonajharia Minz , Chief Advisor, Equal Opportunity Office, JNU.
· Genesis and concept of the workshop: Dr. Navneet Sethi, Associate Professor
· Inaugural Address by the Chief Guest : Honorable Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Women and Child, Education & Languages, Prof. Kiran Walia
o Laying out the forums of reference for the workshop: Dr Someswar Sati, Associate Professor
o Vote of thanks: Shri.Nand Kishore, President , JNU Disabled Persons’ Association
Tea Break: 11 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
Session 1: 11.30 p.m. to 1 p.m.:
The Social Environment: Challenges and Negotiations : Chair: Sandeep Singh
C. Nisha Singh: “Alienation and Withdrawal: Impediments in Inclusion ( some in built challenges in negotiations)”
· Renu Adlakha: “Inclusion in the Academy: Workplace Accommodation and the interpersonal environment”
Lunch Break: 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Session 2: 2.00 p. m. to 3.30 p.m.:
Advancing Careers , Retaining Biases : Paradoxes at Workplace , Chair: Shri.Pintu Kumar
· Dr. Satendra Singh: “Disability and Discrimination at Work”
· Sharing Stories & Struggles: Dr. Reeta Namdev; Dr. Shiv Kumar Mishra; Dr.Deepak Sharma; Dr.Satish Kumar; Dr. .S.Maitra
Tea Break: 3.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Session 3: 4.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Rights and Research:A Cross Cultural Reference, Chair: Kapil Sabriyal
· Jagdish Chander: “A comparative perspective on disability rights movement in India and U.S: Experiences of a disabled scholar at the University of Delhi and Syracuse”
· Hemchandran Khera: “Challenges in doing research in the humanities for the visually impaired: a cross cultural perspective”
Day 2: 10th November 2012, JNU
Session 5: 10.00 a.m. to 11.15 a.m.
Is there a ‘different’ Teacher in the Classroom?, Chair: Sudhanshu Shekhar
· Dr. Preeti Prakash Prajapati : "On being a visually impaired teacher: negotiating and overcoming the challenges of classroom management"
· Ms. Abha Khetarpal : ''Employing teachers with disability; a positive step towards Universal Design in Instruction and Learning''
Tea Break: 11.15 a.m. to 11.45 a.m.
Session 6: 11.45 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.
Enabling State, Disabling Exclusion: Rethinking ‘Stated?’ Policies : Chair: Shri. Prasanna Kumar Pincha
Shri.Mohit Jolly: “Law of Disability – Reservation, Sensitization & Penalization”
Dr.G.N.Karna: Disability and Human Rights
Lunch Break: 1.30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m.
Session 7: 2.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Programme Delivery : The Logistics of Enablement: Chair: Gopal Parihar
· Prof.Komal Kamra : "Inclusion in Work Place: Institutional and Individual Models"
· Prof.SonajhariaMinz: “Experiences in Enablity”
· Dr.Bipin Tiwari, OSD , Equal Opportunity Cell, University of Delhi
Tea Break: 4.00 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.
4.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Valedictory and Summing up proceeding: Dr Navneet Sethi and Dr Someswar Sati