Friday, November 2, 2012

RTI: Delhi's inaccessible P.O's (SOUTHWEST Div)



This is in continuation of my earlier RTI expose in The Times of India (World’s largest read English daily). As promised, I am giving the details of responses received from India Post, division wise. I asked six basic questions in my RTI and they were:

1.    Please provide me a list of all post offices/ building  under the jurisdiction of Indian Postal department in the city of Delhi along with their accessible status (whether accessible/barrier-free or not) to Persons with Disabilities (PwD).
2.    Please provide me the details as to all the standard facilities for barrier free access made available for the Persons with Disability vide Benefits under Chapter VIII of the Persons with Disabilities Act-1995 in buildings/office mentioned in 1.
3.    Please provide me the details of the postoffices/branches/GPO’s which are on first floor or above and without the provision of lifts
4.    Please provide me the details of the facilities provided for People with Disability (PwD) to access the post offices/branches/GPO which are on first floor and above
5.    Please provide me the list of complaints regarding inaccessible post offices in the region of Delhi.
6.    What action has been taken to remedy the same? Please provide me an action taken report.

There was no response in the mandated period and after my first appeal I received responses from all the divisions. In today’s post I am sharing South West Delhi Division’s response:


South West division’s reply implies that 77% of PO’s are without ramp for wheelchair users. 65% of this number is in government buildings. I also request the readers to kindly verify the correctness of PO’s claimed as ‘barrier-free’ in this RTI response.

Also read:



1 comment: