Monday, April 25, 2016

Traffic cops harass people with disabilities in Odd Even phase

Disabled complain of harassment by traffic cops

Rumu Banerjee | TIMES OF INDIA | Apr 22, 2016

NEW DELHI: Several differently-abled people have complained about harassment by the traffic police during the odd-even drive. Dipankur Goyal, for one, alleged that he was challaned Rs 2,000 even after he showed the cops a certificate proving that he was 100% visually impaired.

As per the Delhi government notification, a vehicle driven or occupied by a differently abled person is exempt from the rule. Goyal told TOI, "I tried to explain my disability and even showed the certificate to the cop. But no one would listen to me."

Goyal's is not an isolated case, though. Satendra Singh, a doctor who drives a modified car, claimed he was stopped several times in the past few days. Singh was a bit luckier than Goyal in the sense that the cops understood his disability and didn't challan him. "I have been stopped at various points. Every time, I have had to explain that my car is modified for the disabled and show them the caliper as proof."

Not every disability is easily visible or can be explained away, though. Goyal said he was challaned as the cops said his driver was at the wheel and would thus be liable for the challan. "But I can't go around without a driver. And that's why the government exemption is for disabled people who occupy a car. But most cops and volunteers don't understand the rules," said Goyal.

Singh, who is also a disabled rights activist, said he had come across several similar complaints.
"Disabled people are being stopped. Already, traffic police and volunteers are overburdened and this is neither their fault nor ours," said Singh. According to him, a way to getting around the problem is creating better awareness of rules among the ground staff and also issuing an identifiable sticker to the disabled people

Source: Times of India, 22 April

#OddEvenDobara

2 comments:

  1. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Side Wheel Attachment TVS Access

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Suzuki Access For Handicapped
    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete